Tuesday, November 24, 2009

El desayuno! = Breakfast!

Caroline and I had the honor of cooking our host family a traditional American breakfast. (Well, it was actually breakfast for dinner). We made pancakes (and had real maple syrup), scrambled eggs with cheese, fruit salad, and of course bacon! (made by yours truly- which was a hit!). And to drink we made them mimosas and we were able to find Ben & Jerry's ice cream which we served for dessert.

They loved it! They were so fascinated by maple syrup and the fact that it comes from trees. They asked Caroline and me if everyone in the United States knows about pancakes and syrup. And we said, "Yeah, pretty much everyone." They couldn't believe it! They were so shocked that (almost) everyone in the United States has eaten a meal like this before, but they enjoyed it! They enjoyed it so much we decided to leave them the rest of the pancake mix with them (yes, I know- it was a mix, we didn't make them from scratch, but how American to do it the easy way though!). Scrambled eggs and bacon aren't foreign to them, but they ate all of the bacon I made- all three packages of it! They also loved the mimosas, however we had to make them with Cava (the Spanish champagne) instead of "real" champagne- but again, they loved it so much they polished off the bottle! (Our host parents did- we gave the kids just orange juice).

Unfortunately, I have no pictures to share at the moment, I am waiting to get them from my host-dad, but I can't wait to show all of you them when I'm back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment