Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Berlin

I must say, this is one of my favorite cities. So much history and culture! And of course, I had some of the best beer of my life in Berlin.

I traveled to Berlin with my friends Hana and Calli and we decided to do a bike tour of the city (which we did on Saturday). It was a nice way to get a brief history of some of the most famous sites of the city! Our guide, Nil, really knew his stuff and was also hilarious! At the beginning he asked, "Are Americans here? Ok. Irish? Ok. Spanish? Ok. English? Ok. French? No French? Alright, it's safe to make jokes about the French!" Then we got started! We visited Brandeburg
Gate, Checkpoint Charile, the site of Hitler's bunker, (what's left of) the Berlin Wall, Tiergarten Park (and had lunch at a beer garden there), the site of the Nazi book-burning, Reichstag, Humboldt University and so many other buildings I can't remember them all!

On Sunday, we went to a flea market that's very popular, and you can find everything from clothes to records to furniture to hand-made crafts. After, we visited the graffiti-painted portion of the wall which was so cool to see!
Enjoying a Berliner Pilsner!

By the meeting spot of the bike tour

Trying to get on my bike- the shortest one they had and I still had trouble touching my feet to the ground!

The site of the Nazi book-burning. The memorial is a glass top that overlooks a room with empty bookshelves underground.

Calli and I by a section of the Wall.

A memorial to all the Jews killed. Before, there was an idea to build a giant oven that would be constantly burning in this space here (as a memorial)... a little too out there, don't ya think?

Brandenburg Gate. "The American embassy is very close to here... wait, that's a Starbucks! The American Embassy is down a little further." Our guide had a great sense of humor!

Calli, Hana and myself at the graffiti-painted part of the Wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment